- Always try to be in the group of people not moving. It puts you in control and means that
you don’t have to get up after every chat allowing you to be more composed during each
meeting (they are quite intense).
- Try not to make your pitch sound like it has been scripted. The best pitches are from
those who tailor their pitch to the other speed networker, if you’re first to pitch this can
be difficult (see next point).
- Try to go second; this will benefit you in two ways. You will understand the other speed
networker’s business and whether you have anything to offer them.
Another benefit of going second is that your pitch is more likely to stick in the other speed
networker’s mind because they will be focused on you rather than their own pitch.
- Have lots of business cards and ideally a leaflet that clearly lays out what you do. Some
people resort to writing on bits of paper. It’s best to write a few key words or phrases on
their Business Card if you can!
- Carry a pen with you; write notes on the back of business cards about the other person’s
company; when you get back to the office it may not be quite as apparent what the
company does just from a business card.
- Final business card point make sure that you exchange cards at the beginning of the
session, it can be a time saver.
- Lean into the conversation slightly (too much can be really off putting), it shows that your
interested and focused on what the other person has to say.
- Remember names, the people that have the biggest impact on us are those that could
remember our names, as mentioned above it shows that they have listened to what you
have to say.
- The business people who ARE most successful are those that had done a few sessions of
speed networking; the age old adage of practice makes perfect seems to ring true in the
speed networking environment.
- After you get all the contact cards, pursue any relevant leads you get within 48 hours.
Meetings that made entertainment history… When Jayne Torvill met Christopher Dean
16 October 2018
How Fake News can affect Event Marketing
9 October 2018
Meetings that made entertainment history… when Whitney Houston met Clive Davis
2 October 2018
Meetings Operations Coordinator, Central London
24 September 2018